*Restrictions and fees apply.
Do you need a way to fund a film production? The Big Picture Film & Video Foundation is pleased to offer Fiscal Sponsorship to qualifying film-related organizations, and student and independent filmmakers seeking federal, local, or corporate funding for qualifying film, television, web and other productions.
What is Fiscal Sponsorship?
Fiscal sponsorship refers to the practice of non-profit organizations offering their legal tax-exempt status to groups or individuals engaged in activities related to the organization's missions. It typically involves a fee-based contractual arrangement between a project and an established non-profit.
Through fiscal sponsorship, you may qualify for federal, local or corporate funding ~ or tax exempt donations for your film or project by applying for grants made to individuals through a fiscal agent. The Big Picture Film & Video Foundation is a nonprofit charitable 501(c)(3) organization which qualifies for federal, local or corporate funding. As an individual or entity seeking funding, applicants may be able to get funding for their project with the Foundation acting as their fiscal agent.
For additional general information about how Fiscal Sponsorship works, visit this link to read the Foundation Center’s tutorial on Fiscal Sponsorship: http://foundationcenter.org/getstarted/tutorials/fiscal/index.html .
What types of projects are supported by The Big Picture Foundation?
Fiscal sponsorship is available through the Big Picture Foundation to individuals or organizations whose project aligns with our goals and activities of film, television, web or other screen-based production in Georgia. This will be determined during the application process. Types of projects include documentary films, student films, educational or other projects which include a filmmaking or video production component, etc.
What are the eligibility criteria for fiscal sponsorship?
Individual applicants must reside in Georgia. Organizations must be located in Georgia. Student applicants must submit proof of current enrollment in a school located in Georgia, along with completed fiscal sponsor application to qualify for $10.00 discount of individual application fee (see fees below).
What is the application process?
- The applying organization or individual will submit an application, along with the appropriate fee (see fees below).
- The Big Picture Foundation will review the application per the application review deadlines below and reply typically within 7-14 days.
- Once accepted, The Big Picture Foundation will prepare a Fiscal Sponsorship Agreement to be signed by The Foundation and the applicant.
- Once the agreement is signed, the applicant can begin searching for grants to apply for. NOTE: The applicant is fully responsible for finding and completing all the grant applications, indicating THE BIG PICTURE FILM & VIDEO FDN as the tax exempt grantee or fiscal sponsor.
- The applicant must submit the completed grant paperwork including any supporting documentation, materials or application fees (if applicable) to The Big Picture Foundation at least two (2) weeks prior to the grant application deadline for which they're applying. This is necessary for us to have time to review the materials and make sure the information is accurate and complete, and prepare any materials required of us. We will then submit the grant paperwork to the funding organization (grantor).
- If and when the application is approved and funded by the grantor, the Foundation will receive the funds and retain a pre-determined administrative fee of the grant amount awarded (see fees below).
- The balance of the grant funds will then be forwarded to the applicant (typically within 10 days).
- The applicant will submit quarterly reports to The Big Picture Foundation on the use of the funds and also complete any follow up reporting required by the grantor.
- Applicants for fiscal sponsorship must be renewed annually, particularly for grants which cover multiple years.
What fees are involved?
- FOR ORGANIZATIONS: A non-refundable $50.00 application fee submitted with the application, plus a 10% administration fee of the grant amount, to be collected when the grant is funded.
- FOR INDIVDUALS: We charge a non-refundable $35.00 application fee submitted with the application, plus a 10% administration fee of the grant amount, to be collected when the grant is funded.
- FOR STUDENTS: The individual application fee is discounted to $25.00 to be submitted with the application along with proof of enrollment (copy of student ID indicating valid dates), plus a 10% administration fee of the grant amount, to be collected when the grant is funded.
When are the Fiscal Sponsorship application deadlines?
Fiscal Sponsor applications are received year round and reviewed monthly. Applicants will typically be notified within 7 to 14 business days if their application was received and what additional information, if any, is needed.
When are the Grant application deadlines?
Grant deadlines are determined by the grant applied for. The Big Picture Foundation will establish a grant review deadline of three (3) weeks prior to the federal, regional or corporate grant deadline to have time to review the application prior to submission. For example, a grant with a deadline of October 31 should be submitted to the Foundation by October 10 for us to review and then submit to the grantor.
How long is the Fiscal Sponsorship agreement term?
The typical fiscal sponsorship term is for one (1) year.
Fiscal Sponsorship Program
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why is a Social Security number required?
A social security number or tax ID number is required for tax purposes. When payments for your project are received, we are required to show on OUR tax records who payments are made to for all projects. For companies or organizations, a tax ID number is used. For individual filmmakers or producers (where no Tax ID number is available), a social security number is required. If you are an individual producer, and use of your personal SSN is something that concerns you, feel free to apply directly to the IRS to get a FREE Tax ID number of your own (IRS form SS-4). Instructions and the form are available at http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/How-to-Apply-for-an-EIN .
What should I list for the budget part of the application?
For the budget part of the application, it’s really just to get an idea of what the project will cost to produce. It indicates that it’s just a 'proposed budget.' If you have or can get a more detailed budget, please attach it. If not, an overview as best you can will be accepted. This is largely for our internal use and to help our team better understand your project and production plans.
How can I determine which application fee I need to pay – organization or individual?
If you are applying as an individual filmmaker or project owner/ director/ producer, then your fee is $35.00. If you are applying as an organization, the fee is $50.00. Please keep in mind that if you have a business bank account for your project and will have grant and/or donation payments from us to be made to your business or organization, you will be required to submit the organization application fee. If grant or donation payments will be made to you as an individual, then you will be able to submit the individual application fee.
How do I submit my application fee?
For fastest processing, you may pay the application fee through online application via PayPal, or credit or debit card, or bank account. If you'd rather complete and send in a paper application, you can still pay the application fee via PayPal or credit/debit card. Simply visit the Contact page click here for the Contact page on our website and scroll down to use the Donate button at the bottom of the screen. Just enter the amount of your payment in the Donation Amount box, choose method of payment and follow the instructions to use any credit card, debit card or bank account to pay the fee.
You may also print and send your completed application along with a check or money order for the fee made payable to:
THE BIG PICTURE FILM & VIDEO FOUNDATION
2997 E Cobb Pkwy
Suite 300, #724772
Atlanta, GA 31139-9998
Please note: Applications submitted with payment made via check or money order will not be processed until the funds clear, which typically takes 2-3 business days.
Need additional info? Please click here to contact us.